Electrical Safety Precautions
Working with electricity can be dangerous unless you adhere strictly to certain rules. CAUTION: NEVER WORK ON ANY LIVE CIRCUIT, FIXTURE, RECEPTACLE OR SWITCH. Your life may depend on it. Safety rules you should follow whenever you're working with electricity include:
- Always shut off power at the main disconnect before changing a fuse.
- Always shut off power to the circuit before repairing or replacing a switch, receptacle, or fixture.
- Always tape over the main switch, empty fuse socket, or circuit breaker, empty fuse socket or circuit breaker when you're working. Leave a note there so no one will accidentally turn on the electricity. Keep any fuses you've removed in your pocket.
- Always check that the circuit is actually dead before you begin working on it. Use a circuit tested or voltammeter.
- Always unplug any appliance or lamp before repairing it.