Smoke Detector Tips
- Replace batteries twice a year. If you choose the times that you have to change the clocks, you won't forget. Make it a family affair so the kids will remember how important the smoke detectors are.
- Make sure that your smoke detector is still in working order. Some need to be replaced every 7 to 10 years.
- If your smoke detector goes off because of a "false alarm" such as cooking, smoking, steam or dust, don't remove the battery. Fan the smoke away and open a window. You might forget to put the battery back in later and leave your house unprotected.
- Install at least one smoke detector in the hall outside all bedrooms.
- Make sure you have enough smoke detectors for the entire house.
- Use only smoke detectors approved by an Underwriters' Laboratory or other recognized testing lab.