Almost all pest and rodent infestations begin outside buildings. Pests enter through holes and cracks in the home's exterior. How a home is constructed can greatly affect which pest problems you experience. Here are some tips for "pest-proofing" your house.
- Reduce shelters such as piles of bricks or lumber and leaf litter.
- Keep ground cover at least 18" from the home's foundation.
- Trim trees and shrubs so they do not touch the home.
- Use yellow "bug lights" to attract fewer insects.
- Ventilate the spaces under decks and sheds.
- Don't keep pet food outside on patios or decks.
- Keep pets either in or out. Dogs and cats that run in and out are more likely to carry fleas into the house.
- Keep gutters unclogged and repair any areas that get poor drainage.
- Ventilate the attic and basement crawlspace to minimize excess moisture and humidity.