- Install smoke alarms outside bedrooms and on every level of the home. For added protection, consider installing smoke alarms in each bedroom. Test them at least once a month and change batteries at least once a year.
- Practice fire escape routes and identify an outside meeting place.
- Place a baby to sleep on his or her back in a crib with no pillows or soft bedding underneath.
- Use a crib that meets national safety standards and has a snug-fitting mattress.
- Never use an electric blanket in the bed or crib of a small child or infant.
- Keep small toys, balloons, and small balls away from young children.
- Check age labels for appropriate toys. Make sure toy storage chests have safety lid supports.
- To prevent strangulation, use safety tassels for miniblinds and avoid strings on children's toys and pacifiers.
- Install carbon monoxide (CO) alarms outside bedrooms to prevent CO poisoning.